Merry Christmas

We had a lovely Christmas, celebrating the birth of the Savior, eating yummy food and enjoying presents.

Harmony drew this picture of the nativity and I hung it above our collection of nativities (we get a new one every year).  Something about her drawing makes me especially happy.
 Allison and Sarah drew nativity pictures and I hung them up as well.
 

Allison pointed out that her picture had shepherds looking at the angel but then because they weren't looking at the sheep, a wolf was coming to get the sheep (he's that blob with the pointy ears in the top left corner).  Great message there -- start paying attention to spiritual things and there goes your livelihood.  She was pleased with her creativity, though, so I didn't say anything.

It's been a lovely week having my family at home.  With nowhere we had to go, the freezing temperatures and the snow piling up (we got 10 inches!) didn't feel too oppressive. 

We visited lights at Temple Square this year, enjoyed a visit with Santa at our Church Christmas Party, went sledding, and read a true Christmas story nearly every night for 25 nights.  It is nice to have simple traditions that were easy to follow through.






My friend came over with her four-year-old twins one day and practiced her face-painting on my oh-so-willing children.



Our favorite Chinese restaurant and regular Christmas Eve dining tradition was being remodeled over Christmas, so we went there a few days early instead.  My husband made yummy aloha burgers and hot dogs on the grill for our Christmas Eve feast and deep-fried a turkey for Christmas Day.  Have I mentioned lately I love having a husband who cooks?

Christmas Eve, Lillian (I love that girl!) organized our regular Christmas pageant, lending her authentic polka-dotted bathrobe to Katie the shepherd, assigning parts and directing the movement while also playing a starring role as a wise man.
Grandma and Grandpa spent the night and got to enjoy the chaos of it all.

Mary (Harmony) threw a tantrum right in the middle of the play and ran off crying, but we were able to persuade her to come back.  Joseph (Michael) was extra tender in his role.  Cami was too wiggly to be the baby Jesus, so we just used some wadded-up clothes (anyone else a Best Christmas Pageant Ever fan?).






We tried to keep presents simple this year, with roughly three presents for each child, one or two from Santa and one from us, plus the gifts each child gave their "Secret Buddy."

I love how happy a book can make one of my kids.

I love the chaos and mess and happiness of Christmas morning, as we open one gift at a time.



Three girls with new special blankets.




Merry Christmas to all!

Comments

Megan said…
Sounds like a perfect family Christmas w/ simple traditions, tantrums, & all! Thanks for sharing it here. =)
I love it when a child draws a picture that particularly touches my heart. My second daughter did that once with a little forest drawing--it hung on my fridge for years! Sometimes I weed through the "to save" art bin and just smile and smile as I see certain pictures.

What a lovely Christmas you had--we did, too. :)
3in3mom said…
So precious! Merry Christmas friend.