Asking Jane {Favorites Friday}

One of my favorite blogs is Asking Jane. Jane is a mother of 11 kids, ages 30+ down to 11 (I think), and she answers questions about motherhood, service, marriage, and daily living. I love her positive perspective. I've met two of Jane's grown children and I think she's doing a wonderful job with her family. I love hearing from someone who is further along in life than I am and yet remembers how hard the younger years are and how easy it is to feel overwhelmed and discouraged.

One of my favorite quotes from Jane:
One final and perhaps the most important thought is this: Never lose the vision of what you’re really doing. It’s big. There are no shortcuts to the family you want. It’s going to take all you’ve got. But the whole process is a good one and the whole outcome is amazing. Keep before you, the vision of what you want your home to be today and what you want the final outcome to be. Then keep reaching for it. As the days go by, you'll have more and more satisfying moments. Home really can be a heaven on earth. Pray aways and be believing. (from Feeling Overwhelmed?)

And my absolute favorite quote from her:

The second thing I'd like to say, is that during the years that our homes are filled with little children, it's easy to feel that we aren't personally going anywhere. It's all we can do to maintain the balance of our lives. If we heap upon ourselves a lot of guilt about what we should be doing--running, studying, serving others, taking classes-- we can be debilitated.

If at the end of the day, you have not accomplished one single thing that seems permanent, if you have spent yourself rocking babies and wiping off countertops and changing sheets again, let me assure you that something truly wonderful is happening. Not only are your children growing and developing by invisible degrees, but you yourself are becoming a saint. I really mean that. Raising little children is selfless and sanctifying. You are developing the attributes of godliness--patience, long-suffering, temperance, brotherly kindness, charity--the very things we're on this earth to learn. (emphasis added, from How do you stay motivated?)
Is it any wonder I love her so much? Now go over and drink of her wisdom. =)

Comments

bjahlstrom said…
I think Jane's youngest is 8.
Maryanne said…
Those were really great-- I think I'll head on over and check out her blog. :)