Phone Calls

Lillian and Joey have been planning a summer day camp for kids ages 3 to 6. Last Thursday, we took fliers around to the families in our neighborhood with kids that age. Michael didn’t want to come on our walk, and since DH was working late that night, he ended up staying home alone for the first time in his life. I reminded him as we left that we would just be around the neighborhood and made sure he remembered my cell phone number. Five minutes after we left, my cell phone rang.

“Hi, Mommy.”

“Hi, Michael.”

“Um . . .How are you?”

“I’m fine.”

“When are you coming home?”

“In about a half an hour.”

“Well . . . when’s daddy coming home?”

“He won’t be home until late. Are you okay?”

“Yeah. Bye.”

Ten minutes later, the phone rang again, and this time Michael sounded a little bit panicked.

“Hi, Mommy? I thought you said you’d be in our neighborhood, but I looked out the front window and couldn’t see you!”

“Michael, our neighborhood is bigger than just our street. We’re over by the church right now.”

“Oh. When are you coming home?”

“In about twenty minutes.”

“Oh. And when’s daddy coming home?”

“Not until after you go to bed tonight.”

“Oh. Okay. See you later.”

Five minutes later, another phone call.

“Hi, Mommy. Um . . . so, how is everyone doing?”

“We’re fine.”

(and so on)

Michael is a social boy and I can just see him all alone and feeling lonely in our big house. I don’t think he’s ever experienced the house that quiet.

Comments

Courtney said…
My kids get lonely when they are they are the only ones in their bedroom. What a cute story.