Kids -- what would we do without them? (Nearly Wordless Wednesday)

People without kids sometimes underestimate just how helpful they can be. Take grocery shopping, for example. My kids save me a lot of money just by coming along with me to the store. With them along, I'm sure to rush through as fast as possible, bypassing the screaming deals in order to race to the front of the store and get out as soon as I can. And I'm much more likely to forget entirely something on my list. Forgetting stuff on your list can really save you money! And I don't know where I'd be without my kids to make sure I have the essentials on my shopping list in the first place, posted on the white board in the kitchen: Today's list for instance, includes the usual: eggs, butter, lasagne noodles, pellet gun, machete . . . Wait, maybe I better take a closer look at that: Yep, without my kids, I'd really be missing out! And on the bright side, notice how they included something for everyone, including a $5000 camera lens for me! (Maybe I should explain a few things on the list. First, before you call PETA, we have absolutely nothing against raccoons. We even adopted one a while back. I think the kids are joking about that one. And the "barbies that keep themselves covered"? I don't allow Barbies at our house because half the time they're naked and I just plain have a problem with little girls playing with women dolls who have chests (not to mention the sexist implications of Barbie's proportions). So Allison keeps hoping for the kind of Barbies that keep themselves covered.)

Comments

Carol said…
LOL! And what exactly is daddy going to do with a pelican??
Handsfullmom said…
My daughter says it was a misprint. Her brother said, “Get daddy a pellet gun” and she thought he said “pelican.”
Natalie said…
Hahaha! I had the same question, that's hilarious. I love that last line "...with real fake plastic jewels". So funny!
That was hilarious! I love it. Our neighbor's 6-year-old wanted "3 live husky puppies for Christmas." Her mom was really worried that Christmas morning would be traumatic when she didn't get 3 puppies!

On the Barbies, have you tried the Peek-A-Boo dolls? They're mini Barbies, and I'm pretty sure they're not busty like big Barbies, and their clothes stay on much longer because they're so tiny. And they're themed, which my kids like. They like the world ones, which wear the traditional dress of the country they're from. Or there's mini Cabbage Patch dolls, or those Fisher Price dolls that have snap on clothes. My kids still play with those, and they're 8 and 7. Thankfully, our Barbies keep their clothes on, and we don't have too many of them. They also make little girl Barbies, so they're more appropriate looking.
Handsfullmom said…
Thanks for the ideas on the dolls, Kim. We got them some Polly Pockets for Christmas and that's been great. I'll have to look at the other dolls you suggest.

My friend took colored sharpies and drew on a modest swimsuit on each of her daughter's Barbies. They were really cute, with polka dots or stripes.
kacy faulconer said…
"Real fake plastic jewels!" A girl can dream.
Stacey said…
This is so funny and so something my kids would do. At the beginning of the school year, I posted a reminder list on the front door of things not to forget to take to school. The original list included lunch, backpack and homework. My son added T-shirt, broomstick and pants! Kids are great!
Crystal Smith said…
this is great! I have six sisters and 1 brother, so this is so familiar... :)
Wendy said…
LOL!!! I so love that list. That's what we as mom's live for those little moments that can make us laugh and appreciate those little people, and their thoughtfulness, and humor.

I especially love the last line... a really expensive necklace ... gotta love the kids.
Lisa6Kids said…
OK this is just killing me. I can't stop laughing. For Christmas someone gave the kids soap crayons. Whenever I go to shower I find notes that say,
"Buy Maddy a laptop. This is your conscience." I am glad to see other kids leave their mom silly notes too.
John said…
How could you do without 500 pacifiers, and a machete, well, that is a little boy must.

We don't do barbies either. We did for a short spell a long time ago and there was just something yucky about having naked grown up women dolls lying around.