The Wonders of Chicago

I've never been to Chicago. Unless you count sweating it out in the oppressive O'Hare airport for four hours waiting for a connecting flight (I don't). So I'm more than a little bit jealous that DH took his other favorite girl with him when he flew there for a conference last week. Then again, I'm a wimp when it comes to heights, so perhaps I wouldn't have fully appreciated the view from the Hancock and Sears towers: They've been planning this trip for ages, and Lillian paid for half of her flight and GoCard. She's been carefully saving her money since last June and by last month, she'd saved over $200, from her $9 a month for allowance ($1 per year of age), and money earned helping with extra jobs like babysitting and stacking wood. I was so excited for her. Lillian and her dad left early Tuesday morning and had plenty of time between conference meetings to enjoy the sights of the city. They spent many hours in the Field Museum, enjoyed the Art Institute, took a bus tour of the North Shore and a boat tour on the river, enjoyed several rides at the Navy Pier, and had a fabulous time. If anyone deserves such a trip, it is Lillian. She's responsible, helpful, and mature beyond her years. She can easily entertain herself for hours with a good book, so DH could attend all his conference meetings without worrying about her, and she really appreciated the culture, arts, and opportunities the city afforded. Besides the chance to eat at yummy restuarants for every meal, her favorite part of the city was the Art Institute. And best of all, unbeknownst to them, they arrived just in time Saturday morning to watch World Pillow Fight Day!. They were on their way to the Art Institute for the second time on Saturday when there was a commotion up ahead of them: Now THAT I wish I'd seen!

Comments

Oh how fun! I have never been to Chicago either but that is where our family reunion is being held this June. Now I am so excited to go there!!! And what a sweet and wonderful daughter Lillian must be! How fun to have her in your family!
What happened to the birthday post?? It was in my Google reader, and when I went to comment on it, it was gone. I have a friend who has 7 kids, and as the kids get older, if they want a friend party, she lets them do it, but they have to plan it all themselves. That way she doesn't get burned out with too many friend parties. I'm trying to figure out what to do about the friend parties too. I don't like them either, and I only have two kids who care!