Best Book of Mormon Resources for Come Follow Me study in 2020

Last night for our family home evening, we talked about our top 10 favorite memories from 2019 and our goals for 2020.  For part of the evening, we all wrote down what our most meaningful personal accomplishments were from the year.  One of mine was the weekly writing I did for the New Testament.  I studied more in depth than I ever had before and I am so grateful for all I learned and was able to share.  I'm so grateful for the support and kindness of those who read and commented on what I wrote.  Thank you.

This year, I have decided not to write weekly, at least not about my scripture study.  Though it was a great exercise for me and was definitely worth the sacrifice, I feel a need to focus more time on some of my other goals.  For instance, I have been trying to learn Portuguese for over 3 years.  At one time, I even had a 900 day streak on Duolingo to prove it.  In 2018, I got halfway through the Book of Mormon in Portuguese and I found my study in a different language opened the scriptures up in new ways.  So I've decided for my personal study this year, I will read O Livro de Mormon, starting from the beginning again.  Did you know you can create study plans on the Gospel Library app?  You tell it what you want to study, when you want to start and end, and it will create a schedule for you that's easy to follow and check off each day.  It will even send you reminders. 

While I work to improve my Portuguese, I will still be doing more in-depth study on what is my favorite book, especially to prepare for my family's study.  To that end, I wanted to post some of the great resources that I've found online.  I'm going to bookmark this page so I can refer to it throughout the year.  Please help me out by sharing your favorite resources!

Come Follow Me Resources for The Book of Mormon

Manuals



Personal Study Resources

This is one of my absolute favorite websites.  I've been following their blog since they started and have read hundreds of their well-researched articles.  Their New Testament resources last year were top-notch and their Book of Mormon weekly posts promise to be even better.  If you have an Apple phone or tablet, you can download their awesome ScripturePlus app that includes daily readings to help you keep up with the curriculum along with videos, art and scholarly articles.  If you use Android like me, you'll have to make do with their website for now, though I hear the Android app is coming.

BYU Studies is continuing their weekly links to various articles.

The Interpreter Foundation's helpful guides are awesome too.

Meridian Magazine has articles as well as a podcast.

The BYU Scripture Citation Project lets you match any scripture with talks that refer to it.

Third Hour has resources each week including printables.

Personal Blogs that Post About the Lessons

Family Study Resources

A Gospel Centered Home  
My friend Montserret has done the hard work for you of pulling together tons of free resources -- coloring pages, activities, videos and more, mostly from Church websites and magazines.  This is going to be my go-to as I look for simple activities for my youngest kids to do and videos for the whole family to watch.

Color Me Christian has a free PDF download including several coloring or activity pages for each week's lesson.  She has one for younger kids and one for older.

The Church also has a nice Book of Mormon coloring book.

I haven't used this resource before, but the Saving Talents website posts simple daily devotionals you could do with your family along with FHE ideas.

Another resource I haven't used yet is this one on Third Hour.

Schedules

This cute free schedule can be printed to post somewhere to help your family remember the assigned reading for the week.  The less pretty jpeg below is one I found shared in a group.  It includes the chapters from the scripture reader associated with each week's lesson and I printed it to put in the front of my planner.

Podcasts

I know there are more Come Follow Me podcasts.  I usually only have time for one or two each week but I'd love to hear your favorites so I can add more for those who want more options.

The Interpreter Foundation has a radio show each week where they discuss the lessons.  Their scripture roundtables from previous years are also excellent.

The Meridian Magazine Podcast is here.

My friend Jennifer recommends this Sunday on Monday podcast.

Here's a list I found of podcasts to choose from.  My friend Marybeth likes the Teaching with Power one.

Facebook

The Come Follow Me Lessons Teach Learn Share group is huge and includes lots of people posting insights, questions, and links to resources.  

The Come, Follow Me Principle Challenge group goes above and beyond each week to create a resource list of all blogs, podcasts, videos and more for each week's lesson.  

Come Follow Me Daily posts personal experiences or ideas related to each week's lesson.  They are really good!

Videos

One of my favorite things about our family study last year was the many great videos we could watch to supplement our study.  I especially loved watching The Bible Study's videos summarizing each book of scripture.  This year, I plan to create my weekly playlist using the Scripture Reader videos, the new Book of Mormon videos, and the many resources from Book of Mormon Central plus other videos as I come across them.

Don't Miss This does a weekly lesson that I've heard good things about.   CWIC Media is another one I've had recommended.


****

Now it's your turn.  What resources have you found most helpful in your studies?  What should I add to my list for our 2020 study of the Book of Mormon?



Comments

I will miss your weekly insights but good job prioritizing! I have to put my plug in for Cwic Media. Although it is mentioned in the chicken scratch list, it deserves far more recognition. I have learned a ton from Greg Matsen. His videos/podcasts have become vital to my study.
Handsfullmom said…
Thanks for your kind words! I just added your recommendation to the video resources.