Notes on John 1

I have loved studying the first chapter of John in greater depth this week.  Below are some of the insights and thoughts I have gathered in preparation for our family study on Sunday.

* In contrast to the other three gospels, whose narrative begins with the birth of Jesus (Matthew and Luke), His baptism (Mark), and/or a geneology (Matthew and Luke in his third chapter), I love how John hearkens back to Genesis and the beginning and wants us to understand how the Word was made flesh and dwelt (or tabernacled/tented) among us.

* I loved learning from this chart from Lynn Wilson about the unique contributions of John.
Gospels      Exclusive Information      Common Information 
Mark                       7%                                     93%
Matthew                48%                                    52%
Luke                      59%                                    41%
John                       92%                                     8%
* I loved getting this beautiful overview of the first half of John.  The second video is also worth watching.

* Also from Lynn Wilson was the insight that some scholars calculate that the sabbatical year, when farmers rest their fields every seven years, was likely the year that John began his preaching in the wilderness.  The rest from their farming labors would have allowed more people to come and listen to his words.

* I loved how John was sent to "bear witness of the Light (Christ)"  Am I doing my part to bear witness to that Light that I too have experienced?

* I was struck by the irony of John's telling of how all things were created by Christ and then stating that "he came unto his own, and his own received him not"'  The creation was oblivious to its Creator.  Do I recognize all of my blessings and even my very breath as a gift from my Creator?  Or am I just as oblivious to the miracles that surround me daily?  How do I prepare myself to receive Him?

* Again from Lynn, I loved this comment about John 1:14:  

Jn 1:14 This describes the relationship between the God of the Old Testament (OT), Jehovah, as the Word, Jesus. The phrase “dwelt among us” is also translated “in our midst” or, “became flesh and set up his Tabernacle in our midst.” This was the sign from Sinai, God’s pact with Israel! They saw visible light over the Tabernacle representing the presence of God. And inside the Tabernacle’s Holy of Holies, the mercy-seat, was a place for God to dwell among His people. John explains that the God of the OT is not found in the temple now, but in the flesh as Immanuel, “God with us.” In the new covenant, Jehovah or the Word receives a body of flesh and blood

* And this one about John 1:27:
This idea of unlacing shoes has cultural significance. Foot washing was a job left for children or slaves/servants. With half the population of Jerusalem as slaves, plus women and children who shared similar duties, there were plenty of people to wash feet. Even when a master teacher (like Socrates or Gamaliel) had disciples who wanted to perform all the servant’s responsibilities to spend more time with their teacher (helping him dress, eat, wash, etc.), the foot care was too menial and filthy of a task and was to be left for slaves/servants/children/woman alone. JBpst tells his disciples that he is not even worthy to begin to start a slave’s task for Jesus.  

* I was impressed that John knew exactly who he was and wasn't afraid to say it to the Pharisees.  He wasn't Elijah, but he was the prophesied one who was to prepare the way for Christ.  No false modesty or deflecting from his true purpose in life.  It made me think, do I know what my role is in life?  Do I shrink from it?  Am I prepared to do the work to understand what God needs me to do with the life and talents He has given me?  What do I need to do to learn more about what my small part is?

* I loved this insight about the sign of the dove.  I'd never considered before that to an ancient audience, this was a significant sign that they were expecting.  It made me think about how and why God uses signs and tokens, such as a star, a manger, a dove, or the bread and water of the sacrament, to confirm our faith.

The Holy Ghost is a spirit person in the form of man (D&C 130:22) and does not transform himself into a dove or any other form. The Prophet Joseph Smith explained: "The sign of the dove was instituted before the creation of the world, a witness for the Holy Ghost, and the devil cannot come in the sign of a dove. The Holy Ghost is a personage [a man], and is in the form of a personage [a man]. It does not confine itself to the form of the dove, but in sign [symbol or representation] of the dove. The Holy Ghost cannot be transformed into a dove; but the sign of a dove was given to John to signify the truth of the deed, as the dove is an emblem or token of truth and innocence" (TPJS, p. 276). The dove was a supernatural sign given to John to witness the identity of the messiah. Some non-LDS scholars have entertained differing opinions as to whether or not a real dove was present. Joseph Smith's explanation leads toward a conclusion that the dove was not literally present (see Jesus Christ: Baptism of Jesus Christ). (Source).

* This chart showing the differences between the four gospels in their accounts of the baptism of Jesus, notes that the sign of the dove is mentioned in all four.  Also, just the fact that the baptism is noted in all four gospels is significant -- the infancy narrative is only written about by Matthew and Luke, for example.


* In two of the other accounts, John knew who Christ was and at first balked at baptizing the Son of God.  In John, it states that he knew Christ after the sign of the dove descended.  I find it interesting to contemplate how John, whose mother Elizabeth obviously knew Mary and Who she carried, might not have known Christ for who He was at first.  Is this because they lived very separate and distant lives and so he wouldn't know what Christ looked like?  Is it because his mother died before she could tell him about Mary and her son?  Or is it a further witness that the prophecies of Isaiah are true and that Christ looked like an ordinary man?

* I love the different accounts that we get of Andrew, John, Simon, Phillip, and Nathanial being called and beginning to follow Christ.  Sometimes it's easy for us to look back and see things in hindsight, but to each of these men, this was the first step of a journey.  They didn't know what was to come or what would be required.  Are we also willing to take that first step in following Christ?

* From the very beginning of His ministry, Christ used questions to teach.  "What seek ye?"  What are my desires?  Will they lead me to "come and see" as these disciples did?


Comments

Janie said…
I've been a reader of your blog for years (found it through my cousin Chalice's blog links), and I am so happy you're posting again! I love reading your thoughts about Come, Follow Me. Keep 'em coming!
Handsfullmom said…
Aw, thanks, Janie! I appreciate knowing it is helpful for someone! Chalice and I went to high school together. She's awesome!
Megan said…
Thank you for sharing your CFM insights here! I had a harder time this week because the wording in John 1 (even in the JST) is so much different than the Book of Mormon language. I was trying to mark according to word patterns, & I had to let go & just mark references to Christ. Anyway, I appreciate reading your thoughts here.
kristine barr said…
Thanks for your comments on CFM. I always get new ideas from reading other peoples analysis of what we both have read. I agree this was harder to grasp than Matthew and Mark. But I definitely know more now than I did at the beginning of the week.