Sunset on top of the world

I'm feeling so behind right now, and once again, the blog seems to get last priority when my life is full.  I really do want to do more writing, and I have a post in the works with ideas about designing and building a house for a large family (I have a couple of friends who are in that exciting process), but I seem to end each day with a to-do list longer than it was at the beginning of the day.

Not complaining, mind you, especially since one of the reasons I'm behind is that my husband and I took some time out and flew to Maui with Allison and Benjamin.  It was a beautiful trip, and I'm sure someday I'll get through all the photos we took from it.

In the meantime, here are some photos of one of the most amazing sunset spots on the planet.


Mount Haleakala, Maui's highest peak, is 10,000 feet above sea level.  Most of the clouds hang out at around 8,000 feet, so the view is out-of-this-world amazing.  


Most travel guides tell you to wake up early (like 3:30 a.m. early) and drive up to the top for sunrise, where you and a couple hundred of your closest friends can pack the viewpoint like sardines and ooh and aw like it's a fireworks show.  


We did that, too, and it was amazing (pictures to come). 


So amazing, in fact, that we chose to go back for sunset on our last day in Hawaii.


Instead of the busy overlooks, we drove to a small pull-out at the side of the road, where we watched the sunset with just one other person.  


On top of the world 


 As the sunset progressed, we drove down the mountain, pulling over a few times to take a few more photos of the view through the mists.


So yeah, not complaining at all.  :)

Comments