Screwtape Letter for the Unappreciated Mom ~ Friday Favorites

I haven't been doing Friday Favorites for a while, partly because when I find a link I like, I just share it on Facebook and then forget about it. But I'd like to start gathering the best of what I encounter and share it here more often.

 Here's one of my favorite reads from this week: A Screwtape Letter for the Unappreciated Mom

If you've read the The Screwtape Letters (and if you haven't you need to), you know the drill.  A senior devil writes letters of encouragement to a lesser one, advising him on the best ways to turn his assigned subjects towards evil and away from God.  So the letters are written as if any sign of sin is good and the Enemy is God.  That said, go read the post.
"I was thrilled to hear you have been making progress with the mother.  You have a good lead, from what I hear.  She’s feels over-worked, unappreciated, and discouraged?  I’m so glad to hear it.  If you tread carefully, this can be a great opportunity.  With the kids waking her up every hour last night, we already have an advantage.  A tired Mom makes for a more emotional Mom, and an emotional Mom is a vulnerable one. ..
Sometimes it’s the less obvious things, things the husband doesn’t even realize, that we can use to offend her the most. When he comes home from work and dumps his things on the counter nearest the door (instead of hanging his coat or putting away his keys), let her think of it as a direct assault on her work as a homekeeper.  When he treks mud in with his shoes, let her think it is because he does not love her.  Such extremes of thought may seem ridiculous to you or I, but to the exhausted mortal woman, it can seem possible." 

Comments