Our Daily Bread (Favorites Friday)

When I listened to this talk last month, it was just what I needed. I've returned to its principles again and again, shared it via email and at Book Club, and now I hope you enjoy it as well.

Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread (to read it)
Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread (to listen to it)

In it, Elder Christofferson shares some thoughts about the Lord’s prayer, in particular the words “give us this day our daily bread” – and compared it to the manna the Lord provided in the wilderness.

While it's good to plan and prepare for the future, he points out that we live in the present. It is intended for life to be a daily struggle at times, because we need to learn to pray daily for what we need that day. Sometimes when we feel overwhelmed it’s because we are looking too much into the future when all we need to do is have the faith to pray for strength for that day’s challenges. I liked this part of his message:
In the 1950s my mother survived radical cancer surgery, but difficult as that was, the surgery was followed with dozens of painful radiation treatments in what would now be considered rather primitive medical conditions. She recalls that her mother taught her something during that time that has helped her ever since: “I was so sick and weak, and I said to her one day, ‘Oh, Mother, I can’t stand having 16 more of those treatments.’ She said, ‘Can you go today?’ ‘Yes.’ ‘Well, honey, that’s all you have to do today.’ It has helped me many times when I remember to take one day or one thing at a time.”


And this part:

Thinking of our daily bread keeps us aware of the details of our lives, of the significance of the small things that occupy our days. Experience teaches that in a marriage, for example, a steady stream of simple kindnesses, help, and attention do much more to keep love alive and nurture the relationship than an occasional grand or expensive gesture.


And this part:

Consistent effort in seemingly small, daily steps is a key principle in achieving any great work, including progress in the pathway of discipleship.

Comments

Rachel Keppner said…
This is a beautiful talk! I really needed it today. Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention! :-)