The Power of Forgiveness (Favorites Friday)

If you have an hour free (maybe while cleaning your house?), this interview is amazing to listen to. It's with Gary Ceran, who lost two children and his wife to a drunk driver on Christmas Eve in 2006. The amazing part? He immediately reached out and forgave the man who caused the crash, showed up at the sentencing to plead for leniency, and visited him in prison.

In the interview, Gary discusses the parts of his life that led up to that night, the difficulty he'd had previously in dealing with the grief of losing five of his nine children previous to the accident (twins to premature birth then three children to brain tumors), and his faith in God. He discusses very poignantly his feelings about death.

After the accident, Gary had just two children left in his family.

If you want to hear something to change your life and your heart, this is it.

Click here for the interview with Gary Ceran.

Comments

Tiffany Wacaser said…
Forgiveness is a very difficult principle and concept for me to understand.
Ironically, I don't see how it would be hard to forgive someone for a drunk driving accident which claimed the lives of my family. Why? I guess it is because the ill intent isn't there.
But I have had a hard time personally forgiving those who have harmed my family intentionally, feel no remorse, and continue to hurt others.
I guess I also have this odd feeling that death is often not as awful as the many things that can happen to people.
Do you think there is a difference? Or am I just being difficult in parsing it out like this?
I wouldn't want to lost my husband or any of my children in an accident. But accidents do happen and people are careless. I can forgive that.
But what if your child was kidnapped or harmed by a family member, intentionally.
Just some thoughts.
kacy faulconer said…
He is an incredible example.
John said…
I remember reading about this in the news. I will have to listen to it soon. Thanks.

I sent you an email, I am not sure that you always get them. I will be nearer to you for just an errand on Monday and would like to stop in for a visit if you are in town.