Back to School Organization

Five kids in school means five backpacks, lots of papers, dozens of pairs of shoes, lots of socks. Without a plan and some basic organization, that can mean a huge amount of mess every day. I'm lucky enough to have a mudroom to contain some of the stuff, and here's what I've found works well for us. Last year, I bought these stacking bins to hold each child's backpack. After they do their homework, the backpack and lunch bag goes in their little spot. It was meant as a temporary solution until my husband had time to make more permanent lockers or cubbies or something, but a year later, it's worked so well we've kept it. (It's mostly empty right now because I took the picture after the kids had left for school) Recently, I decided our shoe organization needed some improvement. We've always kept all the kid's shoes and socks in our mudroom. We have these great slots underneath a bench that we've been using for nearly four years. We used one each for socks, school shoes, sandals, and closed toe shoes. The problem? Every day, the kids would pull out everyone else's shoes in order to find their own, leaving a big mess. We sort of solved that problem by assigning cleaning the mudroom as a zone to Michael every day. It worked, but I decided this year we needed something better. I originally hoped to find more of the stacking gray bins and to use one for each child's shoes. I couldn't find any like them anywhere. I scoured Lowe's and Home Depot with no luck. So I improvised. I found that four of these bins from Shopko (on sale last week for $5 each) fit perfectly on these wire shelves from Costco. Now I have eight bins, one for each child, and the shoe mess has lessened considerably, since the kids only have to pull out one pair of shoes for each of them. The shelves fit nicely on the west wall of my mudroom, with room on top for my laundry basket and my recycling basket. One of the doors in the background leads to the entry way (and therefore, the front door); the other to the garage. I love where my mudroom is located. And the slots where we kept the shoes? I found these bins fit perfectly inside them and now I have one for swimming gear, one for hats, one for gloves, and one for bags, and of course, still one for socks. We keep everyone's folded socks in one bin. It's simple for the kids to reach in and pull out a pair that fits them and I don't have to worry about sorting socks into eight separate piles. Next week, I'll share how I handle all the school papers and kid's artwork. What are your best back to school organization tips?

Comments

Stacey said…
I have been organizing away lately and I love the shoe idea. If I can figure out a place to put it, I may have to incorporate that. Right now everyone's shoes are in the same bin and we have the problem you just described.

I am currently using a magnetic board as a reminder of each of the things each child must accomplish during the day. After they finish a task, like brushing teeth, they move it to the side that says done. It's an easy way for me to check on the kids without having to ask a million times and trying to remember which child I've asked.
Archer's Mum said…
looks great! i love getting different organising ideas. thanks for sharing :)
Rachel Keppner said…
Oh, I'm so jealous of your big mudroom! How cool! I love reading about your organizing system. :-)
John said…
Dido Mama Rachel. We just do not have the room for that. Back packs go in bedrooms, shoes go on the floor or shelves of the coat closet. I do plan on doing something like that in the laundry room for the clean and folded laundry, though.